Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Keeping Up With The Unitarians


So last Friday night I'm looking through the bottom right section of the "churches" section of The Cincinnati Enquirer and I see that the topic at the First Unitarian Church of Cincinnati with the Reverend Sharon Dittmar is going to be "Judaism" for Sunday, 1-13-2008.

Well, I'm thinking this ought to be good.

You see - there is a BIZARRE flirtation of Sharon Dittmar's way of looking at life and that of a great many liberal Jews.

In fact, pretty much right from the beginning of the sermon she hit it right on the head - that, in particular after a great number of joint lectures and classes with Rabbi Robert Barr of the Congregation Beth Adam people were beginning to ask her if she was turning Jewish.

On the other hand, after giving the Christmas Eve Sermon (audio file) at First Church, one might also ask if Rabbi Barr were turning into a Unitarian Minister.

However, Rev. Dittmar went on, some had also asked her since she got divorced whether she might have any interest in posting an ad on JDate.

Wait a second ...

Did I hear her correctly?

Yep ... I checked it out ... I heard her correctly ... she got divorced mid-2007.

This is what I get for not keeping up with the Unitarians.

Now, you see, when I first found out about Rev. Dittmar, one of the first sermons I heard from her was on the subject of marriage. In fact, I was seriously thinking about asking her to perform the ceremony for Mrs. Axinar and I before my dear, sweet mother-in-law put the kibosh on the Unitarians for being "too liberal".

However, I was fairly convinced Rev. Dittmar wouldn't perform the ceremony anyway. In her 10-9-2005 sermon she goes on for quite some time about how she interrogates couples who want her to marry them. She also said she only had one bit of marriage advice - marry your best friend.

Now she's divorced herself.

Oh, wow.

For some reason I found myself thinking of the M*A*S*H episode "Fallen Idol" when Radar says to Hawkeye, "A lot of people look up to you here. They admire you and they kinda feel they want to be like you. And ... Gee, when you walk out on an operation, you make them feel like you've let them down. If they can't depend on you, well, they figure, well, maybe there's no point in depending on anything."

I'm telling this to my little teenie-tiny pocket-sized professor friend and she says, "But, Ax, she's only human."

Oh, I know she's human.

I also know in other denominations, getting divorced is an absolute career killer for a clergy member. It's, in fact, what turned Sam Kinison from a preacher to a stand-up comic.

Perhaps it's just proving a concept I learned from astronaut Al Bean - that, no matter how hard you may try - you simply can't predict exactly what's going to happen in the future.

On the other hand, no matter how unfair it might be, it's quite hard to shake the thought that if someone like Sharon Dittmar "got it wrong", what chance do the rest of us have?

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At January 15, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Blogger Robin Edgar said...

Have you got an Axinar to grind with Sharon or something? ;-)

 
At January 16, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been this sick since I saw that last Ronald Regan movie!

(queue mexican fiesta music)

 
At January 16, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Blogger Axinar said...

Robin! I didn't expect you to show up so fast! :)

No ... as a matter of fact, had I met Sharon Dittmar before Rabbi Barr I'm pretty sure I would have said SHE was the first clergy member I ever met who I had a modicum of respect for.

But, although there is just a tiny hint that there may have been trouble brewing from the 10-9-2005 sermon, it really did catch me by surprised she had gotten divorced.

 
At January 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Blogger Robin Edgar said...

Savoir faire is everywhere. . . ;-)

I know that you have quite a bit of respect for Rev. Dittmar Axinar but it did seem that you felt let down a bit and I just couldn`t resist the pun. ;-)

 
At January 30, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Blogger Robin Edgar said...

BTW These U*U Tube videos will help you to keep up with Montreal Unitarian U*Us. . . ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker