Monday, September 10, 2007

A Trip to Carl Sagan's Grave


There's a video I bumped into on YouTube a while back where this fellow is looking for Carl Sagan's grave.

He finds it of course, along with the final resting place of Carl's parents, Rachel and Sam, as well as a relatively new arrival - a name he didn't quite recognize.

It was Pearl Druyan, who had apparently passed on in 2005.

I'm like, "I know that name! I got a letter from Pearl Druyan once!"

Back in 1983, Carl was in the hospital with appendicitis or something of the sort and me and a buddy decided to send him a get-well card. I think we may have been in every bit of 8th grade or thereabouts. This is the note we got from Ms. Druyan, who we surmised was Anne's mother:



And that was the closest I ever got to a letter from Carl Sagan ...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At September 11, 2007 at 1:09 PM, Blogger CityKin said...

Neat. He is a hero.

 
At May 29, 2008 at 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did that video. And I've check on the graves the past two weekend in a row.

Joel S can tell you how to reach me.

I'm impressed that you were writing Carl in 1983. You've been in the Sagan posse for a long time.

 
At May 29, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Blogger Axinar said...

Well, sure - "Cosmos" first aired in the fall of 1980.

Oh, speaking of which ... yes ... to tell you how long I've been in the "posse", in 8th grade I "taught" the first episode of "Cosmos" to a group of 7th graders.

 
At June 3, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent. So are you coming to Ithaca for the Festival? It's the solstice and we're having a little Sagan get-together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker