Saturday, August 9, 2008

BlackBerry Thunder Set For October 13 Verizon Debut

Just stumbled across this tidbit that Blackberry's first touch-screen model, the "Thunder", under the model number BB9530 is set to be released by Verizon on October 13.

Fascinating if true.

I'm having some considerable difficulty figuring out why everyone is going to this iPhone-esque touch-screen format.

As a matter of fact, taking a look at this picture of this device that is clearly half-Blackberry and half-iPhone is a little disturbing.

Now, I have played with the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G for HOURS up at the local AT&T shop. In fact, were it not for the fact that I have been a loyal AT&T / Cingular / Ameritech customer for the last 12 years I'm sure they would have a restraining order on me by now.

All of these touch screen models LOOK cool as all get out - Apple iPhone, LG Dare, LG Voyager, etc., etc.

BUT, Mrs. Axinar having interrogated quite a number of her friends that have iPhones, it's confirmed that it's BLODDY IMPOSSIBLE to compose a text message to say nothing of a blog entry on the thing.

I like the way the LG Dare tried to use the vibrate function to introduce some tactile feedback to using the touch-screen keyboard, but that doesn't seem to work either.

No, gang - keep trying - there must be SOME better way to enter alpha information on these things.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At August 9, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt the same way about the iPhone's lack of keys but I still bought one. After using it and typing many email messages on it, I've become faster at it than I was with my treo. I'm very surprised because I thought the idea of typing without tactile response would slow me down and the first 2 weeks I had it, I was incredibly slow at composing messages. Testing in store will not be the same as actually using one to conduct your business 24/7 for a couple of weeks, regardless of how long you play with the thing. That's just my own personal experience, though.

 
At August 9, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Blogger Axinar said...

Yet another example of the astonishing heterogeneity of Asperger's ... I think my dad would be driven quite literally insane attempting to accomplish anything with the iPhone's "virtual" keyboard.

 
At August 9, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Blogger Axinar said...

Oh ... you're a Mac person too, eh?

That would explain it ... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker