Thursday, April 3, 2008

EXTRA Difficult Wisdom Tooth Extraction

So I get to the oral surgeon this morning and he puts my Panorex X-ray up on the board and starts to plot out his strategy for conquering my wisdom teeth.

First he starts thinking pretty much along the lines I have been thinking since scanning and scrutinizing this thing for several hours since it fell into my possesion on Monday - the tops look like an accident waiting to happen.

Yes, he can pull them, and, in fact, it is generally easier to get out the tops than the bottoms because the bone is softer ...

HOWEVER ...

They're definitely up in the sinuses and they're also somewhat intertwined with the adjacent teeth. Now he said if they ever develop cysts themsevles they might need to come out, but at this point he pretty much concurred with me that the dangers of taking them out now outweighed the potential benefits, so we're leaving the tops in for now.

That was a relief.

Interesting that we reached the same opinion.

"Axinar, DDS" ...

Scares the F*CK out of you doesn't it? :)

Now - onto the bottoms.

Well, the left one looked like it was going to be easier. It was mostly errupted - the front half was way above the gum line.

The right one he had some concern with. It was deeper in and partially entangled in one of the major nerves, but he thought he could get them out.

They hooked me up to an IV and also gave me some nitrous. That hit kind of hard right at first but wasn't all that bad.

Then they started giving me hits of Versed.

I LOVE Versed.

If any of you have the good fortune of ever having to take me through my last days in a hospice-type setting, just have them keep bringing six-packs of Versed until I'm not here any more.

He also gave me a sh*tload of local that knocked out my entire jaw and my tongue.

He started on the left lower wisdom tooth first. There was drilling and pulling and all kinds of rude noises, but, quite honestly, with the heavier level of sedation it was pretty much comprable in discomfort and overall "dentist freak-out factor" to having a large filling. I'm guessing a root canal would actually be a bigger deal.

However, off he went to the right lower.

Now by this time I think the Versed had really hit and I don't remember much of it - but I remember him saying he had to leave part of the tooth because it was so entangled in the nerve.

Of course the right one was actually the higher priority because it had the cyst. Let's just hope in that time that it was open that it didn't have time to pick up some freaky organism that lands me on the news or something.

The right one was SUCH a difficult extraction that he charged me extra for it! Something on the order of $175 extra!

Because they didn't have to give me the stuff that makes you stop breathing, recovery was a little better. It was better even than when I had the steroid shots in my back.

However, I was pretty thoroughly disoriented.

They gave Mrs. Axinar all the recovery directions and off we went for home, stopping at the nearby pharmacy to pick up 'scripts for Amoxicillin, Vicodins, and a Prednisone pack.

Now, I tried to replace the gause but couldn't because I kept gagging. Mrs. Axinar said it was time for them to come out anyway.

A couple of hours later she forced me to eat some angel hair pasta so I could take my Vicodin.

That went pretty much okay, but I can't really CHEW at all just yet.

Worst of the pain so far is that when I try to drink water it gets into the empty sockets and ...

How can I describe this?

Ah, yes ... have someone shove a couple of ice picks in both ears simultaneously and you'll get the general picture.

Bleeding has not been terribly severe - much less than I expected in fact.

So overall we're off to a good start. Hopefully we can avoid dry socket and the rarer complications and be back up and running in a few days.

If not, ladies and gentlemen, it's been a privilege blogging with you ...

Related:
Badly impacted wisdom tooth extraction (not mine) - YouTube

Update:
Wisdom Teeth Extraction And Dry Socket Update - Axinar's

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At February 24, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Blogger garydrew01 said...

Difficult wisdom tooth extraction could be easy especially if you are going to visit a nice dentist. The last time that I had my extraction was on my Orange County Tooth Extraction Dentist. They provide good services. But I don't know on whom to subscribe next time. That's why I'm asking for advices. Do you have something to say? I'd really appreciate it.

 
At September 8, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

Having an impacted wisdom tooth is a pretty vexing predicament to have. By the first time I've felt the pain, it was totally nagging me, and I've encountered having sleepless nights due to that. After being sick and tired of the pain, I've visited the Myrtle Beach dentists for a consultation. After running some diagnostics, the dentist confirmed that I need to extract my wisdom tooth.

With all said and done, the recovery process is smooth, due the proper dressing I've applied on my stitches. After consulting again my dentists (Myrtle Beach clinic) for them to check upon my recovery, I've been told that my wounds are completely healed.

 
At October 18, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sedation dentistry can make tooth extraction procedure less stressful. I had a tooth extraction last year. Good thing my dentist (Raleigh) has the lightest hands to do the procedure. I also underwent with sedation to ease dental anxiety. To avoid same case to happen, my Raleigh cosmetic dentist put veneers on my teeth to protect them from bacteria.

 
At April 3, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Anonymous wisdom tooth extraction said...

Good that you share it here. I have similar experience.

 
At May 20, 2015 at 12:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

While surfing I found your article, this is a great resource.

wisdom tooth extraction sydney

 
At June 9, 2017 at 8:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It is very useful article for us, thanks for sharing.
Tooth Extraction Treatments
Tooth Extraction Surgery

 
At June 16, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Blogger james brownn said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly love and read more on this topic. If possible, such as gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with additional information? It is very useful for me.
wisdom tooth extraction

 
At April 26, 2019 at 8:56 PM, Blogger Donnell Nash said...

Looks painful should be a relief after wisdom tooth extraction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker