Monday, May 19, 2008

Nate Livingston BANNED From Blogger!!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, a legend of the Cincinnati blogosphere, my old Aiken High School buddy, Nate Livingston, has been BANNED from Blogger - presumably for publishing the names, dates of birth, addresses, and various other personal information associated with several individuals he was mad at for, as he explains it, posting personal information about his daughter.

I just found out about this myself from a comment over at the Cincinnati Beacon.

My guess is that it won't take more than a couple of days for Nate to be back up and running on Wordpress or somewhere of that sort.

Now, onto the rest of the comment from "Urbanists II is Dead" - he doesn't seem to get the point on my latest riff in response to a comment that someone made that "Nate Livingston is a racist".

A few months back, The Dean posted a considerable diatribe taking umbrage with the fact that the media calls Barack Obama "Black", whereas, so far as we know, Obama's Anestry-By-DNA test would come back almost exactly 1/2 African and 1/2 European, or, in conventional terms, almost exactly 1/2 "Black" and 1/2 "White".

However, somewhere in the last couple of generations, it stopped working like this. When I was in high school, occasionally a few people would be called "mixed", but, by the time I got to high school this practice had pretty much stopped and the term became "light-skinned black".

And then of course sometime in the last 20 years it seems that pretty much so long as there are any visible African traits left in a person at all, even if they are 1/4 or even 1/8 African agains 3/4 or 7/8 European, they tend to still be called "Black".

This change in procedure I remember being articulated the most specifically by Halle Berry's mother, who, in an interview said that she, if I remember the words correctly, "raised Halle exclusively Black". I imagine this may have been to avoid confusion or something of the sort.

Then The Dean comes along and somehow takes great umbrage with the fact that, if you can follow this logic, the fact that the media calls Obama "Black" negates the White ancestry of his own children.

Get with the program, dude.

Henry Louis Gates: "Does it upset you that we found this much European ancestry in your background?"

Maya Angelou: "Why? It's who I am."

Yes, you can be absolutely, 100%, unabasedly, unashamedly (reviewing the Trinity United Church of Christ web site quickly) Black and STILL have a European-linked Y-chromosome, European linked mitochondria and maybe pushing 7/8 European nuclear DNA.

The truly enlightened (and here's where I start an argument :) ) would get hip to the fact that having European ancestry and coming into contact with people of European ancestry is an inalienable element of BEING Black in America.

My comments of course were more about THE DEAN than about Nate.

You see - I knew Nate's family in high school.

In fact, I was in the motorcade with his sister when she was picked up by her prom date - a young man of considerable European and Native American ancestry who called himself "White". This was considered just slightly scandalous at the time, but I remember her mother saying something to the effect, "Oh, that's not so bad - I mean - goodness gracious - my grandmother married a White man."

Presuming that Nate and his sister had both parents in common, this makes Nate at least 1/8th European. According to The Dean, it sounds like if you have more than 1/8th of your ancestry different from your "primary" ethnic identity, you lose your ethnic identity privileges altogether. This would mean that Nate is neither White nor Black, and, if that were the case, I'd say it would be pretty difficult to be racist.

But of course Nate considers himself Black.

And maybe a little like Malcolm X, perhaps his knowledge of his European ancestry makes him even meaner?

Maybe we should just have Nate sit down with Maya Angelou for a heart-to-heart and he could at least keep himself out of trouble for a while ...

Related:
Nate Livingston– Get a Grip, Man! - Cincy Report

Labels:

8 Comments:

At May 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate is playing right into Amanda Mayes' hands. She couldn't have wished for a better outcome had she wrote the script herself.

Then again, maybe Nate really doesn't want visitation rights of his kids. Maybe he thinks not having them gives him the right to be a complete dead-beat dad.

The ironic thing is this fellow is always going on about his legal acumen, about how he's a "law clerk" (instead of just a clerk working in a law office).

And, yes, we'll hear from him again from Wordpress or one of the other blog platforms and maybe this time he'll host his blog on his own server so that he can harass and libel people to his heart's delight without getting yanked.

ricland

 
At May 20, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate still has his bullshit PAC's website at www.unitecincinnati.com.

Hasn't been updated since early last year, and it's hilarious when he writes about providing substantial financial assistance to deserving candidates, etc.

Or: maybe he'll resurrect the Friends of Karen DeWine website and christen it "Friends of Nate Livingston"?

 
At May 20, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where will I go now to find pictures of obscure Cincinnati politicians?

 
At May 21, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://operationheightenedcontradiction.blogspot.com/

 
At May 22, 2008 at 6:18 AM, Blogger Someone said...

Ax, let me try to explain this race nonsense again.

Take Obama, for example. Let's assume he becomes president.

Now, here you would have a half white guy, saying he's black.

Fine. Whatever.

But I also have my very own half white sons. It would be a very fine thing for them to grow up in a world where someone just like them could be president.

But I do not intend to teach them that they are "black." They are not. They are half white, too.

Obama, therefore, sets a terrible example for those of us really interested in diversity.

 
At May 22, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Blogger Axinar said...

"But I do not intend to teach them that they are 'black.' They are not. They are half white, too."

Well, that's your business of course, but of course Obama's mother faced a similar decision to Halle Berry's.

Actually, from one way of looking at it - Obama's father was not "Black", he was "African".

It's Obama who's "Black" - because it takes some genetic or cultural mixture of African and European to even MAKE "Black".

Obama's mother chose to raise him "Black" and therefore give him a more solid cultural identity, and therefore set up the basis for even allowing him to get involved in politics.

I'm inclined to think that I'd make similar decisions myself in regards to my own children.

 
At May 27, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Blogger Nathaniel Livingston Jr. said...

Why do you persist in claiming we are buddies and that I attended Aiken High School?

I think I've told you this before, but I'm happy to tell you again: I never attended Aiken High School. You have me mixed up with someone, perhaps my younger brother. You might want to take a look at your Aiken yearbooks to refresh your memory (that's assuming that Aiken had yearbooks).

I didn't go to Aiken and I'm not your buddy. I don't even know you.

 
At May 27, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Blogger Axinar said...

You know ... taking a look over the ages on you and Emanuel, it may very well be that it was Emanuel taht I met at Aiken. He graduated from there in 1988 apparently.

When I heard you on the radio I just might have gotten to thinking Nate - "Nathaniel" and that sounds alot like "Emanuel".

Oh ... and the "good buddy" part was sarcasm of course. I think I talked to Emanuel maybe twice the whole time I was at Aiken.

Wait a minute though - if your sister graduated with me in 1986, and Emanuel graduated from Aiken in 1988, how did you get separated from them?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker